Close

Not a member yet? Register now and get started.

lock and key

Sign in to your account.

Account Login

Forgot your password?

BUSES TORCHED IN CAPE OVER ANC COUNCILLOR LIST

30 Jun Transport

Cape Town – Two Golden Arrow buses were torched and several cars stoned on the N2 near Nyanga on Wednesday night.

The culprits said they were ANC members disgruntled with the party’s councillor list for the August 3 local government elections.

Protesters said they wanted the ruling party to feel their frustrations and act.

Motorists had to use alternative routes as the road was blocked for almost two hours, creating a traffic jam.

Commuters were left stranded after the buses were torched. Golden Arrow Bus Services stopped all its services from operating in the area.

Police fired rubber bullets and lobbed stun grenades to disperse the 200 protesters.

ANC member Nomalizo Ngcawana said they embarked on protest action after they learnt Mongami Mbini, a candidate councillor they had nominated, had not been registered and that instead Bongani Ngcombolo’s name appeared on the candidate list.

She said the ANC branch members were demanding immediate intervention.

“We have tried to speak to the provincial leadership, but they ignore us. Blocking the N2 will send a strong message that we are fed up of speaking to deaf ears. This is not the last time. We are going to continue to make the N2 chaotic and unusable.”

Resident Sonwabile Ngwenya said a community meeting decided that the road would be blocked.

Commuter Bongile Mdlalo, 25, who was stranded, said: “It is fortunate no one was hurt, and it is wrong that the protesters had to take their anger out on the road, on people that have nothing to do with their grievances. It is a sad situation.”

GABS spokesperson Bronwen Dyke-Beyer apologised to the commuters for the inconvenience caused by the protest.

“What happened is that they first stoned the bus so that the passengers come out, before setting it alight. Our officials are on the scene to assess the situation.”

Police spokesperson Frederick van Wyk confirmed the protest, saying police were at the scene monitoring the situation. No arrests had been made.

ANC provincial spokesperson Jabu Mfusi said the list was final and would not be changed.

“There is no turning back. Police should take action and arrest whoever participated in the torching of the buses.”

Source: Cape Times – Sandiso Phaliso